Tuesday, May 24, 2011

10,000 Burpees: Day 54

Five thousand four hundred burpees! More than halfway to the end of the challenge. In order to push myself harder, I now publish some of my personal fitness goals...
  1. 100 burpees in 8 minutes.
  2. 5k in 21 minutes.
  3. 20 pull-ups in a row.
  4. Dunk a basketball.
  5. 10 double-unders in a row.
Dare to dream! By the end of my 10,000 burpee challenge, I hope to have accomplished #1. I should take some benchmarks on the other goals soon, so I can determine how far I need to go to achieve those numbers. Number 5 will take some doing - I've only ever done one double under ever. But this burpee challenge is the most interesting thing I have going on right now, and my self-expectations are climbing.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm totally impressed! Good luck on your other goals!

This is Matriarchy said...

You can DO IT! So proud of you for getting this far, not missing one day!

Knight of Nothing said...

Thanks Andrea! Thanks Lacey!

Greyson said...

Hello,

My name is Greyson and am unable to find a 10,000 burpees challenge in 56 days. How would you break the 90-100 day challenge down to a 8 week challenge? I am hoping to start at 50 burpees (either at once or in 1 day).

My email address is greyson@godesign.com, and would like for you to email me that challenge. Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter!

Knight of Nothing said...

Hi Greyson - I apologize for my delayed response; I didn't spot your comment until today.

Disclaimer: I am a member of a CrossFit gym, but I am not a coach, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I would not recommend trying to do 10,000 burpees in 56 days unless you are already in pretty good shape. Can you do 100 burpees at once? How long does it take? If it takes you more than 10-12 minutes right now, I would say you should design a more modest burpee challenge to start with, and tackle this one after you can achieve 100 burpees in 10 minutes or less.

If you are determined to go for 10,000 burpees in 56 days, probably your best bet would be to make a spreadsheet and calculate a ladder that incrementally increases the number of burpees at regular intervals.

Here's a sample breakdown I came up with using Excel -

Week 1: 50/day
Week 2: 100/day
Week 3: 150/day
Week 4: 200/day
Week 5: 250/day
Week 6: 250/day
Week 7: 250/day
Week 8: 250/day

That would get you to 10,000 in 54 days. Obviously you could tinker with the numbers or alternate days too.

Whatever you decide, good luck!