Friday, April 11, 2008

The Strange And Sublime Turns of Mood

I looked out this window this morning and I have to admit I was a little disappointed to see that the 6"-10" inches of snow that we were promised had not fallen. In its stead there was about an inch of really slushy slop covering the sidewalks. Minnesotans take a perverse pleasure in inclement weather. I suppose we are not that different than other folks in that regard. I think there is something about being clobbered by bad weather that slows the pace of modern life.

After a walk with my dogs and a hot bath, my disappointment was forgotten and I was much revived. I got on the bus to work and I buried my nose in my book, happily engrossed in its pages while the driver sped us on our way. When I arrived at my destination, I was again completely deflated to find that I had forgotten my computer at home. Not my day! I stood outside in the cold rain, a little annoyed by cigarette smoke from someone nearby. I couldn't seem to avoid no matter where I stood. But I bore up as best I could and the bus arrived from the opposite direction. I climbed on board for the return trip.

I again found myself absorbed in my book when a couple of teenagers got on the bus and started a loud conversation. A minor irritant, but somehow it always seems to get under my skin. I nevertheless managed to refocus my attention on my book and read an exceptional passage.

By the time I was home, I was again in high spirits.

No comments: